Friday, August 01, 2008

Pottermania calms, but never dies.

Dumbledore's wisdom. Voldemort's evil. Friendships, deep and true. Competition, academic and athletic. Popularity, haves vs. have-nots, social class and financial class statements.


J.K. Rowling knew what was coming. Rereading the entire series reveals the foreshadowing, hints that can hold for several books before the results turn up.

I own all but one (The Goblet of Fire) in the series. Last summer I borrowed a copy from the library so I could reread #1-#6 before The Deathly Hallows reached stores. This time, I borrowed a copy from my mother. La Petite thinks I need to get serious and just buy it. She may be right.

I finished The Half Blood Prince last night and took a break before starting the final installment in Potterland. Amigo is at camp; I might wait until he's home and ask if he wants to read it together, the way we've read so many. He reads the Braille copy out loud, and I read the print silently along with him. We talk and react as the events unfold, and that makes the reading process even more enjoyable.

Yes, I think The Deathly Hallows will have to wait a few days, at least until Amigo gets home.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

and The Tales of Beedle the Bard will be released very soon...

Woot!

8/01/2008 8:48 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I have never read a Harry Potter book in my life. I once posted about how I don't get the phenom even. I'm sure that will all change when The Boy is old enough for chapter books :-)

8/01/2008 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun that you're reading them together. I love that.

8/01/2008 10:00 AM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

I also think it's great that you still read together. It's only rare that Buddy Boy will sit for a long period of time and read with me anymore. He'll sit for short periods of time, then wants to return to his Nintendo DS (sigh). Sometimes he'll ask me to read a few pages from a "comfort book" before bedtime. I like those times.

Joe

8/01/2008 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true!

I tried reading the first one to my kids but they kept falling asleep!

8/01/2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

This is too funny--Grace and I were just talking about HP when your post came through my feeds. She's dying to read Breaking Dawn but seeing the new HP movie isn't far behind on her wish list.

8/01/2008 10:51 PM  
Blogger Leah Ingram said...

Funny, last summer, after seeing "The Order of the Phoenix" movie (which was amazing), I finally broke down and read all the Harry Potter books. I was in the midst of a cross-country media tour on back-to-school shopping, so I was going to be spending three weeks on planes and needed reading material. It took me three weeks to read all seven books, and I'm so glad that I did. Though I have two kids, I'm the only one in the family to have read all of the books. Finally, my youngest has picked up The Half Blood Prince because the movie is coming out this fall and she wants a head start on the story.

8/05/2008 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.