Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Of two great minds

I am of two minds today. Call it cognitive dissonance, call it life in American politics, but I am torn. Part of my heart is singing; part is crying.
I'm thrilled to see the first African-American presidential candidate secure his nomination.
I'm crushed to watch the first viable female presidential candidate prepare to concede.
I was excited to have two good, no, great choices in the Democratic primary.
I had a terrible time making my decision at the polls.
My children are old enough to understand that they're watching history in the making. My daughter will be able to tell her children and grandchildren about her first opportunity to vote in a presidential election. It'll be even more historic when race is no longer an issue for the highest office of the land.
I've savored watching Senator Clinton go higher and higher, showing that America could accept her and support her as a front-runner -- for a while.
I've felt a great let-down as I realized that there are few other women of her stature willing to take on this race.
It's fulfilling to finally see a strong, intelligent woman stepping out of the shadows and taking the well-deserved spotlight.
It's downright depressing that America isn't quite ready for her to go all the way.

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger raqgold said...

i feel the same way even though am not a citizen of the US :(

6/05/2008 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. A sad day. She has a plan behind her rhetoric, unlike her inspiring opponent. Sigh.

6/05/2008 8:37 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I have felt, like Melissa, that Obama had just a lot of nice-sounding words. But at the same time I did have a hard time with trusting Hillary. So much history there . . . I've felt rather depressed with all the candidates I"m afraid. I worry that I'm getting politically cynical in my old age and that it's impossible to please me at all.

6/05/2008 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like scribbit, I'm not thrilled with any of the choices. I'm not a huge Hillary fan (at all), but I was impressed that she went so far. It's going to be interesting to see how all of this works out, to say the least.

6/05/2008 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.