Thursday, May 22, 2008

Aunt Deb's Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

Would you believe -- I'm already picking rhubarb? And some of it's actually the rich, dark red that makes it so, so sweet and flavorful.

Bottom Layer:

Place these ingredients into a greased and floured 9X13 pan.
3 cups cut up rhubarb
60 mini marshmallows (or enough to cover bottom of pan)
3/4 cup sugar


Cake Batter:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening or butter
2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 3/4 cup flour


Cream sugar and shortening (or butter). Add eggs and milk. Stir in baking powder and flour. Spread evenly over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve upside down plain or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Mmmm...delicious.

And if you think I'm kidding about how yummy this cake can be, I must tell you that I freeze rhubarb, too. A taste of summer can be delicious in the middle of a cold, snowier-than-usual winter like 2007 and 2008 delivered. Frozen rhubarb works in this recipe and many others. My backyard produces many of these delicious red stalks: too many to use up in June, July, and August. Right now, it's fresh. Next December? I'll dig into the freezer and make this again.
Did I mention that I compost the leaves?
Never mind. Go eat!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Ooooooo... I am so bookmarking this recipe. I was just talking about rhubarb with my MIL this weekend!!

5/22/2008 2:35 PM  
Blogger thecasualperfectionist.com said...

Mmmmmmmmm. Rhubarb! I love rhubarb, and I haven't had it in so long!!

5/22/2008 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum! thank you for the recipe! I love that rhubarb. I'm blogging on this for eco-women on Monday. May I use your recipe and credit you and Aunt Deb?

5/23/2008 8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ooh, i'm going to remember this one...our farmer's market just put out fresh rhubarb and i've been craving it!

5/23/2008 10:04 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

ohhh I love rhubarb!

5/23/2008 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love rhubarb, and I'm married to a man who is literally addicted to strawberry rhubarb pie...sadly, I've not found any since moving to Texas.

I wonder if someone could ship it.

Oh, and thanks for your comment on my grilling post :)

5/25/2008 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.