Saturday, February 09, 2008

When life hands you lemons, make lemon bars.

Baking is one of my favorite stress relievers. I enjoy the simplicity of following a recipe and enjoying the results. My family life and my professional life are both complex, and baking, like gardening, provides a necessary balance.
I baked a disastrous batch of lemon bars long, long ago, and the trauma was enough for me to swear off trying again for decades. I tried again last night: successfully! Here's the recipe, from the same Cookie Book as the Cranberry Hootycreek Cookies:

Lemon Bars
from the 2007 we energies cookie book
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, melted
4 eggs (or 1 cup egg substitute)
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup lemon juice from concentrate
Powdered sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Blend in melted butter. Press dough into bottom of ungreased 13X9X2 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Stir sugar mixture into the eggs. Mix in lemon juice. Pour over prepared crust. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar before cutting into bars. Makes 2-3 dozen.

Notes:
  • I put much too much powdered sugar on top. Next time I'll be more sparing with the topping. Husband scraped his off. Amigo didn't mind, though.
  • These are rather rich, too, courtesy of the eggs. A small bar is a good serving.
  • They're delicious with coffee. Was there any doubt?
  • Share the story of my lemon bar trauma? Maybe, but I'd rather bake.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite dessert is anything lemon. I'll take a nice lemony tart taste over chocolate ANY Day!

2/09/2008 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.