Friday, February 15, 2008

shoulds are bogus, or good intentions pave to road to you-know-where

I should compost year round.
The reality: it's too cold in our lovely winters. A banana peel placed in the bin in December will still look like a banana peel in April.
The end result: I feel mildly guilty throwing away coffee grounds, orange peels, and other biodegradables. Sigh.

I should have taken my own bags to the bookstore last weekend.
The reality: I didn't. I had the bags sitting out on my dresser, and then I got caught up in my search for gift cards. I left without the cloth bags.
The end result: I left without the cloth bags. I realized it when we were checking out. Fortunately, I only needed one plastic bag. All in all, that's not bad, but I really intend to make a habit of turning down the one-use plastics.

I should be exercising regularly.
The reality: I'm not. I was all set to start and then I got sick.
The end result: This too shall pass. Amigo has set a goal of exercising weekly, and I'm going to join him. Just -- not today.

I should be eating healthier foods.
The reality: I'm feeling lousy and reaching for comfort.
The end result: I continue to pretend that lemon bars have enough vitamin C to have some nutritional value.

I should be resting and drinking herbal tea.
The reality: I'm wasting time blogging and drinking diet orange soda.
The end result: liquids are liquids, and they'll help rehydrate my aching body and drippy nose. (More than you wanted to know, eh?)

Knowing that Husband missed three days of work with this virus, I should have made sub plans in advance.
The reality: Monday is a relatively easy day with a decent amount of prep time. I used my time to write sub plans for Tuesday and rest then.
The end result: It's true. I saw the doc on Tuesday, and she told me I'd be sick for the week. Maybe I should have ... no, let's not start that again. I think I'll reach for more ice water and yogurt.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger mommypie said...

I hear you ...

I should be doing some crafty, creative thing with my preschooler right about now.

The reality: I'm exhausted.

The end result: We're parked on the couch watching Shrek III on a perfectly good Saturday.

*sigh*

2/16/2008 12:30 PM  
Blogger Jill Urbane, The Mentor Mom said...

Hope you start feeling better soon! Maybe I need to send some of that mojo back your way ;)

2/16/2008 1:11 PM  
Blogger Nicole Pelton said...

It's good to have that attitude, giving yourself a break. I should be working, but instead I'm thinking about blogs and deciding between two lunch "dates"

I shoudn't have shared that donut, but it kept me a awake during a boring webcast :)

2/19/2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

We should also compost year-round, but geez, we just don't have anything to do with all that compost! Our yard is tiny and we don't garden, so we use a little of it in our landscaping and the rest gets donated to our community garden...but they can't use it all either! We justify throwing food scraps away by saying, "Well, it'll compost in the landfill too, won't it?"

2/19/2008 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.