Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Shoulds are bogus and hindsight is 20-20.

It was definitely one of those days.

Should (not): The secretary on the phone at 7:20 telling me that Amigo had fallen and bumped his nose shouldn't have used the phrase "I don't know if it's broken".
Reality: She wasn't a nurse, and didn't describe the injury very well, despite my Red Cross training and my detailed questions.
End result: I worried all day. I even emailed husband.

Should: The historic house down the road should have been clear in their phone call.
Reality: Both the secretary and the principal thought it was a "deal with this within an hour or lose the trip!" situation.
End result: We were cranky when we made the return call because we hadn't arranged a field trip there, and we eventually found out the call had just been outreach to recruit more schools to visit.

Should: Teachers should communicate all special needs, even gifted and talented, to the next teacher.
Reality: A student today told me he was supposed to be in the next grade's math program, accelerated by a year.
End result: The jury's still out. I sent out a quick email to the relevant teachers, and I'll check the child's file tomorrow. I couldn't today; I was dealing with a field trip phone call (see above).

Should: I should have stopped worrying about Amigo's nose.
Reality: Since I didn't see it or talk to a qualified medical person, I had no idea how serious it was -- or not.
End result: He talks like he has a cold (which he still does), had a small headache, and strongly resembles a football player with a bandage instead of a breathing strip across his nose.

Ah, well, as my coworker so wisely said, "If you bang your head on the wall, all you'll get is a sore head." So instead of pounding out my frustration, I think I should have a cappuccino and some cinnamon toast. Comfort food is called for after a day like this.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Donetta said...

I can so relate. I hope your Amigo is alright.
Cup of tea sound good. Maybe a little sweet. Sounds comforting.

9/18/2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Yes a nice cappuccino is needed after a day like that! Get Well wishes to little Amigo and hopefully you'll both have a better day tomorrow!

9/18/2007 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.