Thursday, June 28, 2007

Three things I hope my children will inherit

There won't be any heirlooms or trust funds, surprise visits to the Antiques Road Show, or other unexpected windfalls for my children to inherit. Instead, I wish for them these three thoughts, these three concepts.
I hope my children will inherit a passion for learning. Whether they seek knowledge through books, the Internet, or quality cable television, I hope they will always want their minds to grow.
I hope my children will inherit an attitude of caring and stewardship for the world they live in. They might take on the reality of slogans such as Think Globally, Act Locally and Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Maybe they'll grow gardens or have compost bins of their own. Their generation may find new, more efficient ways to care for and preserve our Earth. Whatever the future holds for the land around them, I hope my children take an active part in it.
And finally, I hope my children will inherit an appreciation and enjoyment of stories, their own and those of others. Family stories, often passed on in the oral tradition, are part of the fabric of our lives. ("Brother, you're adorable." "Mom! She called me adorable! Mom, what's adorable?") Those stories we learn from others are part of their fabrics, woven to complement and contrast our own. Stitched together, they make a patchwork quilt of both harmony and dissonance, and ultimately a richness that cannot be equaled.

Would you like to join the Group Writing Project organized by Jordan at MamaBlogga, click here for more information or a submission form.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

13 Comments:

Blogger Believer in Balance said...

That was beautiful! I hope my children inherit those things too, because there won't be any trust fund!

6/28/2007 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great list and a beautifully written entry!

Thank you for participating!

6/28/2007 9:37 PM  
Blogger SAH in Suburbia said...

How beautiful!

6/28/2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

What a beautiful wish for your children.

6/29/2007 12:34 AM  
Blogger Corey~living and loving said...

Lovely entry! I loved your list! :)

6/29/2007 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, I loved it!

6/29/2007 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. I like knowing there are green familes making sure there is a planet for all of our kids to inherit.

6/29/2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Donetta said...

I love your list. Especially "stories' We repeat the past if it is forgotten. History is a greater picture of the lives we live.

7/01/2007 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choices! What a beautiful entry.

7/02/2007 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely wonderful. I love stories too. They are the keepers of all of our best memories.

7/02/2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Daisy I love your list.

I really like the idea of stewardship for the world we live in.

It speaks of a responsibility so many of us forget we have (myself included.)

A love of learning is something I think both myself and Mr B have and that I hope to pass on to my kids too. They already have a great love of books which I think is a fab start.

As for the stories, ahh that's why I love blogging so much.

Those day to day things so easily forgotton can be remembered and revisited timne and time again, and shared with others.

Fantastic read.

Thank you.

7/02/2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

This is so beautifully written. I love the part about family stories. That really made me think. What am I doing to help create those stories?
Thanks for sharing!

7/02/2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Jen at Semantically driven said...

I like the one about the caring for our environment with composting etc, and the family stories one too. I think our blogs will be good to look back on one day and help us remember some stories.

7/02/2007 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.