Monday, January 15, 2007

Snowy days and Mondays

Omens that foretell a challenging week ahead:
  • the entire class talks through the announcement about "snow rules" on the playground
  • the special ed teacher for emotional/behaviorally challenged students is off to a training seminar
  • the school counselor is off to the same training seminar
  • the school principal is also off to the same training seminar
  • Little Jenny comes up and says, "I'm so tired I could fall asleep at my desk."
  • Little Johnny has a note from his mom proclaiming that he didn't get any help with his math
  • the class quiets down briefly to listen to the new read-aloud book by an award-winning author, long enough to hear dialogue that includes the word "Hell"
  • two students are absent: a different two from those that were absent last Friday
  • at least four teachers are out sick
  • the sub who "didn't help" little Johnny with his math confirms that the kid lied through his teeth
  • the undiagnosed ADHD child keeps interrupting
  • his diagnosed but unmedicated friend joins in
  • Later on, little Jenny points out, "I'm still yawning all the time!"
  • the class seems to be having a squeaking contest in the hall with their wet boots after lunch recess
  • Little Johnny announces that he didn't "get it" the first time fractions were taught, either.
  • Georgie Porgie gets in trouble for throwing snowballs at recess, and then wonders why I hounded him to listen to announcements.
  • Behaviorally challenged child tries to leave science class three times to use the bathroom. I let him go once, stop him twice, and hope he doesn't really need it again.
  • Little Jenny again shares, "I think I'm going to fall asleep."
  • I say, "I'll wake you when the bell rings."
  • She replies,"Good luck. I'm a sound sleeper."
So am I. Good night! It's been a long week already, and tomorrow's only Tuesday.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh, Geez. That's a tough start. Better you than me. I don't have that much patience. Initially, I went to college to be a secondary education teacher, but then I realized I couldn't tolerate apathy. Not a very good trait for a teacher.

1/16/2007 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.