Tuesday, December 19, 2006

do-bee-do-bee-do or falalalala, whatever rings your bells

Up here in Packerland, our local TV and radio stations are full of Packer shows, both pre-taped and live. The coach has his own show, several players have their own shows, and one former-player turned sportscaster has a show that welcomes a different player as a guest every week. This show has a live audience and a house band and films in the Lambeau Field Atrium itself.
Last week I got a call about 15 minutes before showtime from Husband, who works on the crew. He asked, "What's the next line after 'Happy days are here again' in the song "Happy Days are Here Again?" (Notice how he never doubted that I would know.) I sang "The skies above are clear again" and heard him relay the line to someone on the other end. "Okay," he said. "See you later." It seems the band wanted to sing a little of that tune as the show began because the Packers had finally won a game.
Five minutes later the phone rang again. "We need one more line to finish up the chorus of the song! Do you know it?" Well, this one escaped me. I sang "Happy days are here again, the skies above are clear again, da-da-dah-da-dah-dah-dah-da-da, Happy days are here again." "No, no! Da-da-da isn't good enough!" It took me all of two minutes to google the lyrics. I called him back, sang the first three lines, had him sing them back to me, and then when we were sure he had it, we hung up so he could go tell the band. This was, oh, about eight minutes before showtime.
I turned on the show and sat down with Amigo to watch. The host called out, "Here we are, in a real, true celebration of Packer Football!" The band began. "Oh, Happy Days are here again, the skies above are clear again, Da-da-dah-da-dah-dah-dah-da-da, happy days are here again!"
I nearly fell on the floor laughing. The show's host razzed the bandleader a bit about not knowing the words, to which he replied, "Someone told me the words a few minutes ago, and then I forgot."
Someone? Your backstage engineer is lucky enough to be married to a licensed music teacher, a woman who is willing to sing over the phone to give you what you need, and it comes down to "da-da-da" and "I forgot"?!!
All I can say is, there better be some tickets in it for me if I ever teach him lyrics at the last minute again.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.