Tuesday, November 28, 2006

It really is the thought that counts.

You might be a teacher if your home has a few of these scattered about. They're the cute little decorative things proclaiming that teachers are the salt of the earth, fabulous people, the greatest ever -- all of which, of course, are true.
I won't give you advice on how or where to pick out a holiday gift for a special teacher -- the pretty Mir does that better. I'll tell you, instead, a story of some of my favorite "teacher" gifts.



Ten years ago (was it really that long? Sheesh) the Green Bay Packers were on their way to the Super Bowl and I had one lone Dallas Cowboy fan in my 6th grade class. The other kids gave him a very hard time, but he took it with good humor. This student got me a Packer ornament for Christmas. Thoughtful? You bet.
I keep a popsicle-stick craft piece on my bookshelf. It's cute and handmade, but it makes me smile because I remember the girl coming into the room that morning with her glue bottle still open, putting the last sticks in place. It was just like her homework; her intentions were good, but she was an endless procrastinator.
One Christmas the trendy items were blanket throws. They were inexpensive and came in a variety of colors and patterns. I received several, and each giver was creative. One came with a box of popcorn and a gift card for movie rentals. Another included a box of hot cocoa and and a cute holiday mug. Blanket throws -- a person can never have too many, and the parents & kids who gave these put a lot of thought into their gift giving.
The bear says, "Teachers rule," but maybe it's more accurate to say that we do our best to measure up. I know that we'll keep on doing what we can to make the world a brighter place. Thanks for the memories.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.