Sunday, September 03, 2006

I've been "tagged" by Momnos to answer a few questions on books in my life. This is harder than it looks! I read a lot, both professionally and for pleasure, and it was still difficult to come up with answers for all of these.

A book that changed my life:
When I was young, I read and re-read Little Women. I was going to be Jo March when I grew up! I liked (and still prefer) books with strong female characters, believable plots, and good writing. I read Frank McCourt's memoir Teacher Man earlier this summer. It was excellent -- right on the money.

A book I've read more than once:
I reread. I do. Reading a good book once isn't enough. I read The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans so many times I can recite certain scenes in my mind. The movie was okay, but the book is SO much better. Evans has a way of describing his characters through their actions that lets the reader feel like a part of the story. Every time he publishes a new one, I buy it.

A book I'd like to have on a desert island:
Since I reread most books, I have trouble picking just one. If I were marooned somewhere, I'd hope that my previous reading would do me some good. In fact, I'd stand a better chance of surviving in a wooded area, based on reading a lot of Gary Paulson (Hatchet) and Jean Craighead George (My Side of the Mountain).

A book that made me laugh out loud:
Bill Bryson's travel books make me laugh every time. I've read A Walk in the Woods several times, and I laugh out loud.

A book that made me cry:
Back to children's literature again -- when I read Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, I needed a box of tissues by my side. Oh, my, she builds up to a surprising and amazing climax.

A book I wish I had written:
There are too many to choose from. I really enjoy good books. I wish I'd thought of Harry Potter, but honestly, J.K. Rowling does him better than I would. She just gets better with every book.

A book that never should have been written:
Rather than a book, I'll refer to a lengthy tome that affects so many children: the Elementary and Secondary Schools Act, sometimes known incorrectly as No Child Left Behind. Frankly, this law is very poorly written and leaves a lot of children behind.

A book I'm currently reading:
Alma Mater: a college homecoming by P.E. Kluge, and The Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser. Maybe Ted Kooser's suggestions will help me improve on my own work! When school starts, I make a conscious effort to have pleasure reading on my bedside. It keeps things in perspective and lets me sleep peacefully at night.

A book I'm planning to read;
Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Many of my friends have read and recommended it.

Thanks for the tag, Momnos. This was a thoughtful and enjoyable post to write!

Labels:

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger MM said...

I am planning on re-visiting your poetry site soon. I don't want to offer unsolicited critique-- but I do love reviewing peers..

9/04/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.