Saturday, July 01, 2006

you might be a teacher if...

You might be a teacher if:
  • Spring cleaning happens in July.
  • You lose track of the days of the week when June arrives.
  • Your garden gets planted 3 or 4 weeks late.
  • All of the above.

No one can tell yet, and it didn't happen intentionally, but I planted Packer Beans. No, not the kind that a good environmentalist or country mama would "put up" or can to last through the winter, but good Wisconsin green and (yellow) gold.

Spring was extraordinarily busy and emotionally draining this year. By the time we got the compost spread and the soil turned, all of the stringless bean seeds were gone from the stores. Of course, people who plan and actually had time to plant had already bought all of the best seeds. Well, there's nothing like fresh beans from the garden, and evidently a lot of people know that. I planted the broccoli, tomato plants, the pepper plants (mother's day gifts all), and seeds for bunny food like parsley and carrots. I kept looking for bean seeds everywhere I went, and even went to places I normally didn't shop in the hopes that other bean-loving gardeners hadn't shopped there, either. I put the word out to my family, and my mother found two packets of yellow wax beans. These are also yummy, so I put the lovely little seeds in the soil beneath the trellis. But I didn't stop looking...and sure enough, a few days later I found two packets of seeds for green beans at the local drugstore. I stepped out to the garden that afternoon and planted the new packs in and around the seeds for the yellow. If all goes well and they grow quickly, I'll have a trellis full of beans in the colors of my favorite team, and I'll be harvesting as they begin a dynamite season with a new coach and a still fabulous MVP quarterback. (The team, that is, not the beans.)

I just hope we don't get an early frost up here near the tundra....

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.