Friday, July 28, 2006

Uh-oh, hold that tongue

One of my study-group buddies brought her toddler niece along last night. The little girl was cute as can be, quiet, and well-behaved. She sat on her aunt's lap and colored in a Strawberry Shortcake coloring book with big crayons.
During a heated discussion in which we reminisced about problems and wished for solutions, I accidentally let the phrase "s**t-list" out. Within seconds, I realized my mistake, apologized, and was reassured that the little girl was actually dozing off and hadn't heard a thing.
Whether or not that's true, it bothered me immensely. The sight of a toddler or young one swearing may be cute in a movie (Okay, Ben Stiller, I laughed like crazy), but it's less attractive in real life. And the fact that as a rule I don't use profanity made it even worse. How can someone who generally doesn't swear let a nasty four-letter word slip in front of an impressionable language-learner? Oh, drat (or stronger), I felt and still feel lousy about it.
So, J.S., the fantastic aunt, I'm sorry . Really sorry. I know you said it didn't matter, but I sure hope the little one doesn't bring that phrase home.
Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger themikestand said...

This being the second time I've followed a link that led to your blog, I feel compelled to comment.

:D

Glad your blog is cathartic. Mine is, too.

-Mike

7/29/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Thanks! It varies in content, just like life.

7/29/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger MM said...

AT least you weren't the momo-- Ahem. Like some people we know.... I like your blog title. VERRY Cute. We wanted to start a dotcompost. but apparently there already is one. Merry bloggin,

7/29/2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger MM said...

My two year old (now nine) overheard her uncle cussin under his breath. SO one night after her bath I told her it was time for bed and she whispered "oh shit." I nearly fell over backward into the tub trying not to laugh (or pass out.) Oddly, I've gotten worse over the years. The kids however still think "shut up" is a bad word. I hear it from them alll the time.

8/07/2006 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.