Monday, May 02, 2011

Daisy and the Gatekeeper

Actual phone call with clinic; I am not making this up.

Me: I'd like to make an appointment to see Doctor DHH (deaf- hard of hearing).
Gatekeeper: Regarding?
Me: Creating a letter discussing medical accommodations for my job.
Gatekeeper: Oh, we don't make appointments for that. He just writes a letter.
Me: He already wrote a letter, and my attorney says it's not suitable.
Gatekeeper: In what way?
Me: It needs to be specific, suggesting an accommodation and giving a medical reason for that accommodation. I need to talk to Dr. DHH. Could you please check his schedule?
Gatekeeper: We write letters to employers all the time. The one you have should be sufficient.
Me: I've run it by my attorney, and she says it's not specific enough. I'd like to talk to Dr. DHH so we can draft a new one.
Gatekeeper: We send these out all the time to employers and SSI for disability cases. No one has ever had a problem with this.
Me: Please schedule an appointment for me so we can resolve the letter completely.
Gatekeeper: Oh, no, instead let's see what's in your file.
Me: (pacing next to phone)
Gatekeeper: Okay, he sent a more detailed letter to your family doctor and a short one to you. You picked it up two days ago.
Me: Yes. I have it. It's a short summary, and it needs detail. Maybe Dr. DHH could call me.
Gatekeeper: Let's see if the family doctor letter has what you need. We could send that one.
Me:(pausing while she looks it up)
Gatekeeper: Maybe you don't need a doctor's letter at all. You just need the audiology report.
Me: No, I've already asked. I need a letter from an MD. If I need to include audiograms, I have several years of them on file.
Gatekeeper: Oh, Dr. DHH won't need more. He has the one from November.
Me: If he needs to show that the loss is progressive, he'll need a series of audiograms over time.
Gatekeeper: Oh.
Me: Shall we schedule an appointment?
Gatekeeper: No, I'll ask Dr. DHH if we should use the medical letter.
Me (firmly, but politely): I will stop by to pick up a copy. Do not send it to my employer until I've reviewed it with my attorney.
Gatekeeper: Oh. Well...
Me: I'll pick it up Monday morning. See you then!

Notes: I managed to make an appointment a week later by going through a different receptionist. Dr. DHH was appalled to hear that his "gatekeeper" had refused to schedule my appointment the first time I called. We're still working on the disability documentation, but at least I made it one more step up the ladder.


Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger bubbleboo said...

Wow. And I thought things were bad at our medical centre!

At least you have been able to see him - I hope resolving the letter issue is a much easier journey!

5/02/2011 10:11 AM  
Blogger Earth Muffin said...

Oh my. You are a very patient woman. I'd have been much more...shall we say SNIPPY with the Gatekeeper! Hope you get what you need.

5/02/2011 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.