Thursday, April 30, 2009

Will swine flu fizzle or present a pandemic?

Timing is everything, and "shoulds" are bogus, even when a pandemic is threatening.

I should make sure our medicine cabinet is stocked.
Reality: I usually buy over-the-counter meds when they're on sale, especially vitamins & supplements. They run 2 for 1 specials so often I never want to pay full price.
End result: We have lots of some meds, we're almost out of others.

I should make sure our cupboard is stocked.
Reality: Fear of Mother Hubbard Syndrome is alive and well, and we have plenty of canned and frozen foods - including the beef stock I made last night after grilling steaks. That will be one. good. soup.
End result: We'll be able to last a few weeks if we're quarantined. A month? That might be tougher.

I should go over my files and records from Public Health Training.
Reality: I barely have the time and energy to get my school papers corrected and recorded.
End result: I'll pull the files when the first case gets reported in my state or in town.

Heck with all this! I should be gardening!
Reality: Wisconsin weather is fickle, and there's still the potential for frost later this week.
End result: Planting will wait until the end of May.

I should write a knowledgable post about swine flu.
Reality: Swine flu posts abound, as do up-to-date articles. Search any reputable news site for swine flu and you'll find updates.
End result: I think I'll go check the medicine cabinet and see if I need to make a stop at Walgreens!

In between writing the rough draft and hitting publish, I received the latest newsletter for public health volunteers in my fair city. The advice is routine, and I hope the situation remains so. ------->Prevent germ transmission in standard ways, stay home if you're sick, etc.
-->Store a two week supply of food and water and pet supplies, stock up on nonprescription medicines, and keep prescriptions current.
-->Keep a good supply of basic health supplies such as thermometers, gloves, soap and hand sanitizers, and cleaner/ sanitizers such as bleach.
-->Plan ahead: know how family members will be cared for if they're sick.

Hmm...with aging parents and a kiddo in college, the last item on the list isn't as easy as it sounds. Maybe I "should" make a few phone calls.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

I think this is all being blown way out of proportion - for now. It will probably make a second round with deadly results in a couple of months. Until then, we wash our hands every chance we get. And live.

4/30/2009 9:42 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love what Rep. Ron Paul said about it. If you don't know he is a doctor as well as a US Rep. He was a Rep. last Swine Flu and this is what he said-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5-Y08qbjo

Mind you they are doing the same thing this time. A vaccine is being worked on quickly and with it being so fast who is it being tested on? Everyone that gets it. I know even though I'm high risk (I have asthma and other chronic health problems) I will not get the flu shot just has I have never gotten a flu shot.

I have stocked up on homeopathic flu meds and eco-friendly disinfectant. And we are going to do our monthly shopping tomorrow so we will have a lot of food.

4/30/2009 10:16 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Update: I stocked up on medicines today. While at Walgreens, I also picked up M&Ms. Don't worry, folks, I'm ready for anything.

4/30/2009 8:05 PM  
Blogger Permapoesis said...

nice blog. we're on the other side of the frost season. itching to get garlic in and scheming of ways to grow spuds through winter.

5/02/2009 3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.