Tuesday, January 29, 2008

But will it grow?

Winter, lovely winter. The snow softly drifting across the yard, the sounds of power snowblowers muffled by the television news announcing school closings (in my dreams, at least), and the crashing of icicles falling from the eaves.
Or the dripping of icicles from the eaves followed by the vision of puddles frozen solid on the steps and front porch, making getting to the school bus a dangerous escapade.
After Amigo survived the adventure mentioned above, I made my way back to the garage to look for rock salt or other ice-melting compounds. I was fairly certain we had run out after the last storm, so when I dug into a big bucket of sand and lo and behold, found a familiar looking white bag with red lettering. I dug in my mittened hands, grabbed a fistful, and scattered it all over the front porch and steps.
Later that day, I emailed Husband at work and asked him if we had a bucket we could keep on the front porch with a little rock salt in it. He said sure, but we were out of the stuff, so he'd stop on the way home and stock up. Until then, I should use the biodegradable kitty litter that would absorb excess moisture and provide some texture to the ice, giving us a little traction in the process.
Out of it? I replied. Then what's in the bag that's on top of the gray sand bucket?
He didn't know. Neither did I.
After school, I checked on the front porch so that Amigo could get in the house without slipping. What was this stuff? It looked like -- birdseed? Curiosity got the best of me, and I went looking in the garage. With the benefit of wakefulness and a full day's worth of caffeine, I took a good look at the white bag with red print. Then I laughed out loud.
It was lawn fertilizer -- an old bag of a product we don't even use any more.
That's what happens when I try to be efficient pre-caffeine on an early Monday morning.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Flea said...

But it provided traction, no?

1/29/2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I have known people who did this deliberately to avoid killing their grass at the edge of walkways.

1/30/2008 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Maybe it's good in this case to reuse/recycle;)

1/30/2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Thanks for stopping by my bloggy giveaway!

1/30/2008 2:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ha haa thanks for a chuckle!

1/30/2008 2:24 PM  
Blogger Day Dreamer said...

LOL...at least it wasn't used kitty litter....

That kind of luck runs in my family...

1/30/2008 4:46 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

Ew! Used kitty litter!
Daisy, I have something for you over at my blog. :)

1/31/2008 12:05 PM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

Just think of all the well fertilized weeds that will grow around the porch come spring.

Joe

1/31/2008 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.