Thursday, January 31, 2008

Because "Hootycreek" is so fun to say

I received a collection of cookie recipes for Christmas, and this one looked good. It had some of my favorite ingredients (dried cranberries, oatmeal, chocolate) and had a cute name.

Cranberry Hootycreek Cookies
from the 2007 we energies cookie book

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup uncooked quick oats (or old-fashioned)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (see below)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream butter; beat in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt and sugars; gradually blend into butter mixture. Stir in cranberries, chips and pecans. Drop heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool on wire racks. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

I didn't have the white chocolate chips called for, so I substituted semi-sweet morsels and topped the cookies with the last of the chocolate brown jimmies from the annual family cookie-decorating experience. They turned out absolutely delicious. I'll put white chocolate chips on my next shopping list; I can't wait to try the original version!
But what is a hootycreek, anyway?

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Yumm! I'm totally stealing this!

1/31/2008 6:18 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I don't know what a hootycreek is, but it sounds slightly obscene. But wow... those cookies sound so good. And God help me, I have all of the ingredients already. Didn't you know I'm dieting? :)

1/31/2008 6:56 PM  
Blogger Flea said...

Hootycreek! Hootycreek! Hootycreek!

You're right! That IS fun to say!

1/31/2008 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These DO sound delish.

Isn't Hootycreek where Hoochie Mama was born?

2/01/2008 8:34 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Just to let you know... I made these myself this afternoon and thought of you. They were so delicious. I only had one because of the diet, you know... but the rest are going to a nice lady who is giving me a bunch of stuff she posted on Freecycle, and it seemed like a nice thank you present.

Yummy!

2/07/2008 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these cookies and wondered why they were so bland. I had to go look for the receipe in the enegies cookie book and found that the reason was the receipe didn't have the 1/3 cup of brown sugar listed, while the cook book does.

12/19/2009 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.