Saturday, November 11, 2006

The first real snow

The first snow changes everything. Earlier in the week, I was outside without a jacket. Now I'm pulling out the gloves and scarves and making sure my car is equipped with its snow brush and ice scraper. My students were so excited they asked if I would turn out the classroom lights so they could stand at the window and watch the snow fall. I said yes. I recognized the excitement of the first snowfall and let them express it. The clouds were so heavy that it was quite dark outside, and we could see the large flakes drifting to the playground where they became more slush than snow. The kids were amazing; when I turned the lights back on and asked them to settle, they did so calmly with satisfied smiles on their faces. Most are native to Wisconsin; snow is nothing new. But they still feel a thrill when the first flakes fall and the landscape changes. I understand; I feel the same thrill.

By the time I got home, the snow was sticking to everything. After supper, it was completely dark outside. In the view out front: the bench where Amigo often waits for his bus is covered.

In summer, this shepherd's crook held my lovely ivy geraniums. Now it has its own beauty, with the white snow on its black iron finish.
But below you'll see the evidence of my neglect. This is what happens when I don't get the deck furniture put away in time.

Ah, well, I'll brush the snow off, bring in the cushions, and dry them off. All will be well. Winter, in its own loveliness, is here to stay.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yaaaaaaaaaay snow!

11/11/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger angela said...

I love the first snow. Everything's transformed. Pity that it has to turn slushy.
Angela

11/12/2006 1:26 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Clayton said...

It's beautiful--I think it's the same snow just starting now on Droop Mountain. Thanks for visiting Pocahontas County.

11/12/2006 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Smile!

Search & Win

About 1 in 5 child deaths is due to injury. CDC Vital Signs www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns

Creative 

Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.

Copyright, 2003-2008 by OkayByMe. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Daisy, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma and my lawyers you might deal with.